Christmas from a Distance

 Happy December! 

The semester is over and New Orleans in the winter is in full swing. I was able to see my family in Florida for thanksgiving but unfortunately, I wasn't able to go home for Christmas this year. 

Usually, on Christmas morning I go to my grandma's house and eat a traditional Guyanese breakfast: pepperpot and bread. This year, I was video-called into the festivities from here in New Orleans. Being an hour behind (and my family being a bunch of early birds), I had to get up quite early to watch as my family opened gifts and held up the phone so I could be included in some of the pictures. 

My brother opening the gift I sent him!

Although I wasn't with them, it was nice to feel like I was a part of it all. This year, I spent the holiday with my partner and our cats which was so much fun. We opened gifts, watched a movie, made dinner, and took the cats out on a walk. We have been doing Christmas activities all month such as picking out a tree, decorating it, making cookies, and decorating them, so although I didn't make it home to Florida, I still felt at home. 

                            

Comments

Popular Posts