Becoming a Student in the Pandemic

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley and welcome to my pharmacology blog!

Post-graduation photos at Hopkins!

    I'm originally from Pompano Beach, FL, and went to school in Baltimore where I studied behavioral biology at Johns Hopkins University. I graduated in 2018 and for the past two years, I have been living in New Orleans teaching 7th and 8th-grade math and social studies in St. Bernard Parish at AJ Middle School. I was so excited to be back in the classroom this fall, but instead of being the teacher, I've been the student. This change has definitely been different and has taken some time to get used to since I've been the person who's been giving tests and not taking them.

    Before the first day of class I had some anxiety about what studying habits might look like. Would it be similar to the same level of focus as I had during undergrad (which was fine, but I crammed)? Or, have my habits evolved and shifted using the skills I learned through teaching? So far, it seems as though the latter has occurred. I used to tell my students that it's best to study as you go and not to wait until the night before the weekly homework was due to do it just in case they needed help from me and I've been practicing that same skill during this program so far. If there's an independent study or a quiz due, I try to do it before the day it's due. I also attempt to get my notes fully fleshed out as we're learning the material so I'm not cramming in the couple days before a test. I have found this method to be more productive and glad that what I was preaching to others was actually the most effective method for success.

    Additionally, I was curious about what online classes would look like and how a hybrid teaching method would work.  I know just how difficult it is to teach online on Zoom from the spring and end of the school year last year, and that had to do with public school resources and unpreparedness that our district was for the transition to online learning. It is like night and day with this program though. The platforms that we have had for online classes here, the small class size, and personable professors truly has made this transition easier. Everyone is organized and our professors in the Pharmacology department (and other departments) are doing a great job to make the online and in-person classes seamless. It's also great that they take the time to make sure that we're doing well and giving us the opportunity to give feedback.     

    Speaking of opportunity, I have been extremely excited to be able to finally have the opportunity to volunteer in New Orleans and give back to the community. Even though I've been here for about 2 1/2 years now, I haven't been able to volunteer in the community minus my commitments at my school such as after school tutoring and sponsoring extracurriculars such as multicultural club and robotics, so this opportunity through the eportfolio class is what I've been waiting for! Due to COVID, I haven't found something super consistent yet, but I have reached out to a few organizations that I hope will get back to me. As of now, I am planning on reading to kindergarteners, because I miss interacting with kids in the classroom, and I will be writing to seniors early next week (that will be its own separate blog post).  I am looking forward to what my impact will look like in these activities!

Comments

Popular Posts