Hurricanes and Helping Hands

Happy November!! It has been a wild last few days here in New Orleans. Hurricane Zeta hit us on Wednesday afternoon/evening.  Growing up in South Florida, I have had my fair share of hurricanes and an even greater amount of practice preparing for the worst. From boarding up our windows to making sure we had a little wind-up mechanically powered antenna TV (now we have phones so it's less necessary but 15 years ago, it was definitely needed), and even filling the bathtubs just in case the water lines get cut off, I've done it all.

I have been in the New Orleans area for the last 2.5 years for me, this has been the most affected I've been in a hurricane here. I was truly lucky as I didn't lose power for as long as some of my classmates, professors, and other friends in the area. I was extremely thankful that the branches that did fall in front of my house did not hit my car or any of my neighbor's houses. In the time that I had without power, I was able to do something I hadn't done in a while since school has been busy: play guitar. It was great to get back in touch with myself through my primary creative outlet. I learned some new songs and practiced old ones to keep up my skill and memory. It was a lot of fun!

The next morning I went outside to assess what had happened overnight. I saw a few of my neighbors out and about sweeping, raking, and moving fallen branches, leaves, and other misc. items so I grabbed my rake and started to help clean up our street. It was nice to interact with them since I don't really see them out all of the time.

                       


My group and I were supposed to give our Advances presentation this week, but we all lost power and weren't even able to practice. Luckily our presentation got moved to an undetermined date sometime in the near future. I'm glad that now everyone in our group has power back so that we can practice and make sure our timing is perfect for our presentation!

One of my ex-coworkers, a teacher from the school I worked at, still didn't have power in Chalmette on Friday. She had just given birth about 20 days ago so I cooked and took her and her partner food so they could have a hot meal. All of the lights going out there were out so I was stuck in traffic for a while, but it was worth it to help out a friend. 

Beef Bolognese From Scratch
(I also made cookies!)
Service Hours This Post: 0
Total Service Hours: 4.5 

Comments

Popular Posts