The End of an Unprecedented Year

 Happy April!! We are finally at the end of this semester! 

Service Hours This Post: 9

Total Service Hours: 17

This month has flown by! It feels like April 1st was just yesterday, but now May is around the corner. This month I tried to finish the semester strong and finish my service hours. Like I have been doing all year, I volunteered at Broadmoor Food Pantry! One of the days the SPCA came by and donated a pallet full of dog and cat food, something that I never really thought about that would be of use to people who came to the food pantry, but it is something that is always in high demand. 




Also this month, Kendall and I have been trying to trap a stray cat who lives under our house who we thought was pregnant. We wanted to get it to the SPCA so she could have her babies there and we could do a TNR so that she could be spayed and then we would release her back into our neighborhood. We set up a cat trap in the alley that runs along the side of our house. Last Friday when we were about to get on Zoom for the Cell Control review session, we heard the birds outside of our house making THE most amount of noise so we peeked our heads outside to see that there was something in the trap... an opossum!!! We called animal control and they said that they would send someone out to come and get it but hours went by and they didn't come. We opened up the trap to let it go, but the possum didn't move for over an hour so we closed it back up and tried to call animal control again. They still didn't send anyone, and after being on the phone with the humane society, they suggested that we take it to a park and release it there. Both Kendall and I have cars and there was no way that we could put it in either one of our cars. I remembered that one of our friends and classmate, Patrick, has a truck and he lived pretty close to us. I called him and he came over to help take the possum (and her two babies) to city park. We hooked a rake handle through the handle of the cage and lifted it into his truck. We found an area at the park with no one around and lifted the cage into the grass, near a tree. Kendall unhooked the lock and we ran away and saw the possum and her babies sprint away into the woods. This was a wild adventure and was grateful for Patrick's help.

As I am writing this post, the CDC has released the easing of restrictions for small gatherings of people who are vaccinated. Although things aren't perfect, this is making me feel optimistic about the potential of being able to be social with some people again and get back in the swing of interacting with people on a more "normal" level. I am excited for graduation next month especially since my dad and my brother will be coming into town for it. I haven't seen them in awhile so I am really looking forward to spending time with them, especially since they are vaccinated too.



Comments

Popular Posts